Yield: 24 large cinnamon rolls
1 1/2 tablespoon yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
3/4 butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
7-8 cups flour
I warm my ingredients in the microwave, in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. First I warm the water and milk. As long as it’s not too warm to burn my finger, I know it won’t kill the yeast. The butter can be melting while I add the other ingredients.
Cinnamon Roll Instructions:
- Add yeast to the mixer bowl.
- Warm water and milk, then add to the mixer bowl.
- Melt butter, and while it’s melting, add the sugar, salt, and eggs to the mixing bowl.
- Add one cup flour, then mix it all together for about one minute.
- All yeast mixture to sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add the remainder of the flour, kneading until it cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Continue kneading in the mixer for 5-6 minutes.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, covered and in a warm place. Punch it down if necessary.
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Grease two 9×13 glass pans with cooking spray or melted butter.
- Punch down dough. Divide the dough into TWO batches.
- Roll out the first batch of dough on a slightly greased counter top, until it forms a 15×9-inch rectangle. (Allow the dough to rest for a couple minutes if you are struggling to get it to roll out.)
- Spread HALF of the melted butter all over the dough.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts in a bowl.
- Sprinkle HALF over the buttered dough.
- Sprinkle HALF the raisins over the top.
- Beginning on the long side of the rectangle, roll up the dough to make a 15-inch log.
- Cut into 12 slices. Place the cinnamon roll slices close together into a glass pan.
- Repeat with the other batch of dough.
- Sprinkle any remaining butter or sugar mixture over the top of the roll slices in the glass pans.
- Let the cinnamon rolls rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- While they are rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened but not melted
1 – 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Gradually add 1 tablespoon of hot water and continue to mix, until the glaze reaches your desired consistency. (Some people use milk.)
- Spread over slightly cooled rolls.