During the Feast of Unleavened Bread, we learn about Yeshua, who is the Passover Lamb who take away the sin of the world. Of course, we know that He didn’t stay dead! He rose again after three days and three nights, just as He promised.
The following cookies are a longtime family favorite because of the opportunities they give to point everything during this holiday season to Yeshua our Messiah.
Note: We suggest making these in the evening after supper is prepared, as your oven will need to stay closed up until the next morning.
1 cup whole pecans
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
1 pinch of salt
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 300 DEGREES.
- Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Yeshua was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3.
- Let children smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. into mixing bowl. Explain that when Yeshua was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30.
- Add egg whites to the vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Yeshua gave His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11.
- Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s life. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Yeshua’s followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27.
- So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Yeshua died because He loved us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16.
- Beat with a mixer on high speed for 11-15 minutes, until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God’s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Yeshua.
- Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto waxed paper-covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Yeshua’s body was laid. Read Matthew 27:59-60.
- Put cookie sheet in the oven. Close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Yeshua’s tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27:65-66.
- GO TO BED! Explain that they may be sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Yeshua’s followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. They had to leave Him there for three days and three nights! Read John 16:20-22.
- The next morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie! Noticed the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first day of the week, Yeshua’s followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. Read Matthew 28:1-9.